[Python-Dev] Ordering keyword dicts

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sun May 19 14:42:53 CEST 2013

> On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM, Raymond Hettinger
> <raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:
>> BTW, I'm +1 on the idea for ordering keyword-args.  It makes
>> it easier to debug if the arguments show-up in the order they
>> were created.  AFAICT, no purpose is served by scrambling them
>> (which is exacerbated by the new randomized hashing security feature).

(This is really for Raymond, though I'm replying to Guido's post.)

I'm having a hard time understanding why this matters.  Maybe I'm just
dense on a Sunday morning.

Can you explain what makes it difficult to debug about keyword
arguments if they are held in a normal dictionary?  Debugging at the
Python level or the C level? Can you give an example where it would be
easier to debug?  If it makes it easier here, would it make it easier
to debug other dictionary usage if they were ordered?

Skip