[Python-Dev] [RELEASED] Python 2.7.5

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon May 20 01:41:28 CEST 2013

On Sun, 19 May 2013 19:37:46 -0400
Pierre Rouleau <prouleau001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On that topic of bitness for 64-bit platforms, would it not be better for
> CPython to be written such that it uses the same 64-bit strategy on all
> 64-bit platforms, regardless of the OS?
>
> As it is now, Python running on 64-bit Windows behaves differently (in
> terms of bits for the Python's integer) than it is behaving in other
> platforms.  I assume that the Python C code is using the type 'long'
> instead of something like the C99 int64_t.  Since Microsoft is using the
> LLP64 model and everyone else is using the LP64, code using the C 'long'
> type would mean something different on Windows than Unix-like platforms.
>  Isn't that unfortunate?

Well, it's Microsoft's choice. But from a Python point of view, which C
type a Python int maps to is of little relevance.

Moreover, the development version is 3.4, and in Python 3 the int
type is a variable-length integer type (sys.maxint doesn't exist
anymore). So this discussion is largely moot now.

Regards

Antoine.