[Python-Dev] Why is documentation not inline?

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Mon May 20 15:47:23 CEST 2013

On Mon, 20 May 2013 15:02:08 +0200, Stefan Drees <stefan at drees.name> wrote:
> On 20.05.13 14:37, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
> >> ernal
> >> One is legacy. It certainly wasn't possible with the old LaTeX doc
> >> system.
> >
> > Do you know that TeX itself written using a "literate programming". TeX
> > binary and the TeXbook are compiled from the same source.
>
> Separation of concerns and DRY - tension rising:
>
> Who wants to tangle and weave? Anyone :-?)

I loved that concept so much when I first encountered it that I
subsequently wrote systems (in REXX :) for doing something similar on two
big projects I worked in my IBM mainframe days (one of them using SGML,
if anyone remembers when there were actual source-to-printed-document
systems for SGML).  I guess I pretty much forgot about it when I moved
to unix, but I suppose it is one of the reasons I do like doctest.

A quick google tells me there are some links I should check out :)

--David