[Python-Dev] Purpose of Doctests [Was: Best practices for Enum]

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon May 20 17:15:56 CEST 2013

On May 18, 2013, at 11:41 PM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

>I'm hoping that core developers don't get caught-up in the "doctests are bad
>meme".

Thanks for your message Raymond.  I know that doctests are controversial, but
I do firmly believe that when used correctly, they have value and should not
be broken without careful consideration.

You make excellent points about Python 3 adoption and the "canary-like" nature
of doctests.

Cheers,
-Barry