[Python-Dev] PEP 443 - Single-dispatch generic functions

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri May 24 02:31:48 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Ben Hoyt <benhoyt at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems no one has provided
> decent use-case examples (apart from contrived ones)

Um, copy.copy(), pprint.pprint(), a bunch of functions in pkgutil
which are actually *based on this implementation already* and have
been since Python 2.5...  I don't see how any of those are contrived
examples.  If we'd had this in already, all the registration-based
functions for copying, pickling, etc. would likely have been
implemented this way, and the motivating example for the PEP is the
coming refactoring of pprint.pprint.