[Python-Dev] Bilingual scripts

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri May 24 22:23:58 CEST 2013

On Fri, 24 May 2013 15:56:29 -0400, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> Have any other *nix distros addressed this, and if so, how do you solve it?
> It would be nice if we could have some cross-platform recommendations so
> things work the same wherever you go.  To that end, if we can reach some
> consensus, I'd be willing to put together an informational PEP and some
> scripts that might be of general use.

Gentoo has a (fairly complex) driver script that is symlinked to all
of these bin scripts.  The system then has the concept of the
"current python", which can be set to python2 or python3.  The default
bin then calls the current default interpreter.  There are also
xxx2 and xxx3 versions of each bin script, which call the 'current'
version of python2 or python3, respectively.

I'm sure one of the gentoo devs on this list can speak to this more
completely...I'm just a user :)  But I must say that the system works
well from my point of view.

--David