[Python-Dev] __subclasses__() return order

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun May 26 06:36:28 CEST 2013

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 11:49 PM, Łukasz Langa <lukasz at langa.pl> wrote:
> I guess I should explain myself more clearly: __subclasses__() already
> computes its result on-the-fly (it must weed out dead weakrefs) (*). So
> the visible behaviour of __subclasses__ wouldn't change, except for
> ordering.
>

> +1
>
> Makes sense to me. As currently defined, you cannot rely on the item order
> anyway.

Another concurrence here - if any code in the world depends on
__subclasses__ always returning entries in the exact order they happen
to be returned in right now, I'm quite happy to declare that code
implementation dependent and thus exempt from the normal backwards
compatibility guarantees :)

Cheers,
Nick.