[Python-Dev] Bilingual scripts

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue May 28 19:27:18 CEST 2013

On May 25, 2013, at 09:53 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

>How about always running the version specific targets, e.g.
>nosetests-2.7?

We have nosetests-2.7 and nosetests3 in /usr/bin, but we generally recommend
folks not use these, especially for things like (build time) package tests.
It's harder to iterate over when the installed versions are unknown
statically, e.g. if you wanted to run all the tests over all available
versions of Python.

For those, we recommend people use `$python -m nose` since the available
versions of Python can be queried from the system.

This is why I would really like to see all scripts provide a -m equivalent for
command line invocation.  This might be a little awkward for < Python 2.7
(where IIRC -m doesn't work with packages).

-Barry