[Python-Dev] Bilingual scripts

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Tue May 28 20:19:27 CEST 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On May 28, 2013, at 01:57 PM, Daniel Holth wrote:
>
>>Wheel has no mechanism for renaming scripts (or any file) based on the
>>Python version used to install. Instead you would have to build
>>python-version-specific packages for each desired script name.
>
> Note that I'm not trying to borrow any implementation details from wheels,
> just the file naming conventions (compatibility tags) described in PEP 425.
> It would still be up to upstream package or distro tools to fiddle the
> installed file names.

I'm just saying that I prefer a setup.py without too many
Python-version-specific differences, since it would look pretty silly
to install a wheel of nose generated on Python 3.2 on Python 3.3 and
have the wrong version suffix on the scripts. I like the plainly named
scripts without version suffixes.