[Python-Dev] Bilingual scripts

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed May 29 20:38:16 CEST 2013

On May 29, 2013, at 01:01 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>PEP 432 is also related, as it includes the "pysystem" proposal [1]
>(an alternate Python CLI that will default to -Es behaviour, but is
>otherwise similar to the standard "python" interpreter).

I *knew* this was being specified somewhere, but I couldn't find it in either
the tracker or PEP summary.  As an aside Nick, what do you think about
splitting the pysystem proposal out of PEP 432?  I think they could certainly
live as independent PEPs albeit perhaps the pysystem one dependent on 432.

>The rest of the discussion though makes me think we may actually need
>a *nix equivalent of PEP 397 (which describes the "py" launcher we
>created to get around the limitations of Windows file associations).

Perhaps!

>Between that and the interpreter identification mechanism defined for
>the PEP 425 compatibility tags it should be possible to come up with
>an upstream solution for 3.4 that the distros can backport to work
>with earlier versions (similar to the way users can download the
>Windows launcher directly from
>https://bitbucket.org/pypa/pylauncher/downloads even though we only
>started shipping it upstream as part of the Python 3.3 installer)

We're getting pretty close to a real idea here. :)

-Barry