[Python-Dev] PEP 451 update

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 23:44:25 CET 2013

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification. It all SGTM.

I've updated the PEP and the reference implementation.  If I've missed
anything please let me know.  There is only one thing I thought of
that I'd like to get an opinion on:

In the Finders section, the PEP specifies returning None (or using a
different loader) when the found loader does not support loading into
an existing module (e.g during reload). An alternative to returning
None would be for the finder to raise ImportError with a message like
"the loader does not support reloading the module". This may actually
be a better approach since "could not find a loader" and "the found
loader won't work" are different situations that a single return value
(None) may not sufficiently represent.

Other than that, I'm not aware of any blockers for the PEP.  Once I
settle that last question, I'll ask for pronouncement.  (Anyone may
feel free to pronounce before then. <wink>)

-eric