[Python-Dev] "PyObject *module" for module-level functions?

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Mon Nov 4 23:47:56 CET 2013

When Clinic generates a function, it knows what kind of callable it
represents, and it names the first argument (the "PyObject *") accordingly:

  * module-level function ("self"),
  * method ("self"),
  * class method ("cls"), or
  * class static ("null").

I now boldly propose that for the first one, the module-level function,
the PyObject * parameter should be named "module".  The object passed in
is the module object, it's not a "self" in any conventional sense of the
word.

This would enhance readability, as I assert the name "self" there is
confusing.  The argument is rarely used on module-level functions, and
very little code is converted right now using Clinic anyway.  I
therefore assert this change would break very little code, and the code
that did get broken by this change could be fixed as part of the process
of converting it to Clinic.

But now would be the time to make this change, before doing the big push
to convert to Clinic.  (A couple of weeks ago would have been even
better...!)

+1?  -1?

//arry/