[Python-Dev] PEP 384 (stable api) question

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 22:35:10 CET 2013

On 8 Nov 2013 04:42, Martin v. Löwis <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Am 07.11.13 13:44, schrieb Thomas Heller:
>
> > I thought that the stable API would keep exactly the same across
> > releases - is this expectation wrong or is this a bug?
>
> Oscar is right - this change doesn't affect the ABI, just the API.
>
> That said, please file an issue reporting what change you see in
> your compiler warnings. 3.4 is not released yet, perhaps there is
> something that can be done.

Thanks for bringing this up, Thomas. I'd spotted warnings from that change
in CPython's own build process on Fedora, but not followed it up yet.

At a very quick glance, the Fedora issue appeared to be a platform header
that publishes a parameter as "char *", but CPython is now calling it with
a "const char *" pointer.

(I agree with the change to the API signatures in principle, though, since
it endeavours to accurately indicate which string inputs CPython may modify
and which we guarantee to leave alone. There may just be some specific
cases where we can't actually make that guarantee because the underlying
platform APIs aren't consistent in their declarations)

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com