[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython: Issue #19512: Add a new _PyDict_DelItemId() function, similar to

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 10:25:35 CET 2013

On 8 Nov 2013 09:48, "Victor Stinner" <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/11/8 Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com>:
> >> http://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/69071054b42f
> >> changeset:   86968:69071054b42f
> >> user:        Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>
> >> date:        Wed Nov 06 18:58:22 2013 +0100
> >> summary:
> >>   Issue #19512: Add a new _PyDict_DelItemId() function, similar to
> >> PyDict_DelItemString() but using an identifier for the key
> >
> > As a private API, this shouldn't be part of the stable ABI.
>
> When I don't know if a function should be made public or not, I
> compare with other functions.
>
> In Python 3.3, _PyDict_GetItemIdWithError(), _PyDict_GetItemId() and
> _PyDict_SetItemId() are part of the stable ABI if I read correctly
> dictobject.h. _PyObject_GetAttrId() is also part of the stable ABI.
> Was it a mistake, or did I misunderstand how stable functions are
> declared?

Likely a mistake - the stable ABI is hard to review properly (since it can
depend on non local preprocessor checks, so a mistake may not be obvious in
a diff), we don't currently have a systematic approach to handling changes
and there's no automated test to catch inadvertent additions or (worse)
removals :(

This may be a good thing for us to look at more generally when things
settle down a bit after the beta 1 feature freeze.

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com