[Python-Dev] PEP 454 (tracemalloc) close to pronouncement

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 12:58:43 CET 2013

I'm happy with the latest PEP because it is minimal but core features are
still present:

- get the traceback where an object was allocated,
- get traces of memory blocks,
- compute statistics on memory usage per line, file or traceback,
- compute differences between two snapshots.

We now have an object API to access low-level traces without killing
performances. Temporary objects (read only views) are generated on demand.
Generating concrete objects for each trace is really too slow because there
are as many traces as memory blocks (500.000 memory blocks at the end of
Python test suite for example).

Victor