[Python-Dev] Restoring the aliases for the non-Unicode codecs

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 17:30:38 CET 2013

On 14 November 2013 01:43, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Nick Coghlan writes:
>
>  > The long gory history in http://bugs.python.org/issue7475 took a
>  > different turn earlier this year when I noticed
>  > (http://bugs.python.org/issue7475#msg187698) that the codecs module
>  > already *had* type neutral helper functions in the form of
>  > codecs.encode and codecs.decode, and has had them since Python 2.4.
>  > These were covered in the test suite, but not in the documentation.
>
> As long as the agreement on _methods_ (documented in
> http://bugs.python.org/issue7475#msg96240) isn't changed, I'm +1 on
> this.

Yeah, those have actually been updated to point to the type neutral functions:

>>> "bad output".encode("rot_13")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: 'rot_13' encoder returned 'str' instead of 'bytes'; use
codecs.encode() to encode to arbitrary types

>>> b"bad output".decode("quopri_codec")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: 'quopri_codec' decoder returned 'bytes' instead of 'str';
use codecs.decode() to decode to arbitrary types

Cheers,
Nick.