[Python-Dev] unicode Exception messages in py2.7

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 22:20:52 CET 2013

2013/11/14 Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov>:
> (note this is about 2.7 -- sorry, but a lot of us still use that! I
> can only assume that in 3.* this is a non-issue)
>
> I just discovered an issue that's been around a long time:
>
> If you create an Exception with a unicode object for the message, (...)

In Python 2, there are too many similar corner cases. It is impossible
to fix these bugs without taking the risk of introducing a regression.

Seriously, *all* these tricky bugs are fixed in Python 3. So don't
loose time on trying to workaround them, but invest in the future:
upgrade to Python 3!

Victor