[Python-Dev] The pysandbox project is broken

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Fri Nov 15 23:24:21 CET 2013

On 13/11/13 00:49, Josiah Carlson wrote:

> Python-dev is for the development of the Python core language, the
> CPython runtime, and libraries. Your sandbox, despite using and
> requiring deep knowledge of the runtime, is not developing those
> things. If you had a series of requests for the language or runtime
> that would make your job easier, then your thread would be on-topic.

I think you should consider to re-define you perception of the purpose
of the python-dev list. Simple feature-requests is not everything.
Instead, this list also touches the general direction where python should
go, and discusses the current hard-to-solve problems.

The sand-boxing feature via rexec, bastion etc. was perceived as a
useful, quite
safe thing, until it was proven to be completely broken (Samuele Pedroni
et. at., 2003
I think). After that, CPython simply removed those features and failed
completely to
provide a better solution.

I appreciate very much that Victor tried his best to fill that old gap.
And after
that breakage happened again, I think it is urgent to have an in-depth
discussion how that
situation should be treated in the future.

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023