[Python-Dev] Accepting PEP 3154 for 3.4?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Nov 17 03:27:31 CET 2013

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>wrote:

> Alexandre Vassalotti (thanks a lot!) has recently finalized his work on
> the PEP 3154 implementation - pickle protocol 4.
>
> I think it would be good to get the PEP and the implementation accepted
> for 3.4. As far as I can say, this has been a low-controvery proposal,
> and it brings fairly obvious improvements to the table (which table?).
> I still need some kind of BDFL or BDFL delegate to do that, though --
> unless I am allowed to mark my own PEP accepted :-)
>
> (I've asked Tim, specifically, for comments, since he contributed a lot
> to previous versions of the pickle protocol.)
>
> The PEP is at http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3154/ (should be
> rebuilt soon by the server, I'd say)
>
> Alexandre's implementation is tracked at
> http://bugs.python.org/issue17810

Assuming Tim doesn't object (hi Tim!) I think this PEP is fine to accept --
all the ideas sound good, and I agree with moving to support 8-byte sizes
and framing. I haven't looked at the implementation but I trust you as a
reviewer and the beta release process.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)