[Python-Dev] PyParallel: alternate async I/O and GIL removal

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Nov 17 07:20:09 CET 2013

> Trent, I watched your video and read your slides.

I only read the slides.

> (Does the word "motormouth" mean anything to you? :-)

The extra background (and repetition) was helpful to me in filling in
things, especially about Windows, that I could not follow in the
discussion a year ago. But I noticed that it might be tedious to people
already familiar with the subject.

> Clearly your work isn't ready for python-dev -- it is just too
> speculative. I've moved python-dev to BCC and added python-ideas.
>
> It possibly doesn't even belong on python-ideas -- if you are serious
> about wanting to change Linux or other *NIX variants, you'll have to go
> find a venue where people who do forward-looking kernel work hang out.

A working and useful Windows-only PyParallel (integrated with CPython or
not) might help stimulate open-source *nix improvements to match the new
Windows stuff.

> Finally, I'm not sure why you are so confrontational about the way
> Twisted and Tulip do things. We are doing things the only way they *can*
> be done without overhauling the entire CPython implementation (which you
> have proven will take several major release cycles, probably until 4.0).
> It's fine that you are looking further forward than most of us. I don't
> think it makes sense that you are blaming the rest of us for writing
> libraries that can be used today.

Just reading the slides, I did not pick up as much confrontation and
blame as you did. I certainly appreciate that asyncio is working *now*,
and on all three major target systems. I look forward to looking at the
doc when it is added. I will understand a bit better for having read
Trent's slides.

--
Terry Jan Reedy