[Python-Dev] (#19562) Asserts in Python stdlib code (datetime.py)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Nov 17 20:02:31 CET 2013

On Nov 17, 2013, at 05:14 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:

>2013/11/16 Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com>:
>> Can I see some writeup how -OO benefit embedded devices?
>
>You get smaller .pyc files. In an embedded device, the whole OS may be
>written in a small memory, something like 64 MB or smaller. Removing
>doctrings help to fit in 64 MB.

I'm in support of separate flags for stripping docstrings and asserts.  I'd
even be fine with eliminating a flag to strip docstrings if we had a
post-processing tool that you could apply to pyc files to strip out the
docstrings.  Another problem that I had while addressing these options in
Debian was the use of .pyo for both -O and -OO level.

-Barry