[Python-Dev] Accepting PEP 3154 for 3.4?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Nov 20 16:44:21 CET 2013

Am 20.11.13 06:18, schrieb Tim Peters:
> BTW, I'm not a web guy:  in what way is HTTP chunked transfer mode
> viewed as being flawed?  Everything I ever read about it seemed to
> think it was A Good Idea.

It just didn't work for some time, see e.g.

http://bugs.python.org/issue1486335
http://bugs.python.org/issue1966
http://bugs.python.org/issue1312980
http://bugs.python.org/issue3761

It's not that the protocol was underspecified - just the implementation
was "brittle" (if I understand that word correctly). And I believe (and
agree with you) that the cause for this "difficult to implement"
property is that the framing is in putting framing "in the middle"
of the stack (i.e. not really *below* pickle itself, but into pickle
but below the opcodes - just like http chunked transfer is "in" http,
but below the content encoding).

Regards,
Martin