[Python-Dev] PEP 428 - pathlib - ready for approval

Xavier Morel python-dev at masklinn.net
Wed Nov 20 17:55:21 CET 2013

On 2013-11-20, at 17:09 , Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 6:01 AM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> On 11/20/2013 04:25 AM, Garth Bushell wrote:
>
> I'm also quite uneasy on the case insensitive comparison on Windows as the File system NTFS is case sensitive.
>
> No, it's case-preserving.
>
> It's quite possible that you are both right -- possibly the filesystem driver supports foo and FOO in the same directory but the kernel I/O layer prohibits that. Stranger things have happened. (IIRC the behaviour might have been intended so that NT could get a "POSIX compliant" stamp of approval -- using a different set of kernel interfaces that don't enforce case insensitive matching.)

The Subsystem for Unix-based Applications (SUA, formerly WSU and née
Interix) does expose NTFS’s case sensitivity, but FWIW it was
originally developed outside of Microsoft and independently from NTFS
(and a few years later).

It looks like NTFS’s designers simply didn’t feel completely
beholden to the limitations of the Windows API.