[Python-Dev] PEP 0404 and VS 2010

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Wed Nov 20 21:52:10 CET 2013

Howdy friends,

according to pep 404, there will never be an official Python 2.8.
The migration path is from 2.7 to 3.x.

I agree with this strategy in almost all consequences but this one:

Many customers are forced to stick with Python 2.X because of other
products, but they require a Python 2.X version which can be compiled
using Visual Studio 2010 or better.
This is considered an improvement and not a bug fix, where I disagree.

So I see many Python 2.7 repositories on BB/GH which are hacked to support
VS 2010, but they are not converted with the same quality in mind
that fits our standards.

My question
-----------

I have created a very clean Python 2.7.6+ based CPython with the Stackless
additions, that compiles with VS 2010, using the adapted project structure
of Python 3.3.X, and I want to publish that on the Stackless website as the
official "Stackless Python 2.8". If you consider Stackless as official ;-) .

This compiler change is currently the only deviation from CPython 2.7,
but we may support a few easy back-ports on customer demand. We don'd add
any random stuff, of course.

My question is if that is safe to do:
Can I rely on PEP 404 that the "Python 2.8" namespace never will clash
with CPython?

And if not, what do you suggest then?
It will be submitted by end of November, thanks for your quick responses!

all the best -- Chris

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023