[Python-Dev] PEP 0404 and VS 2010

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 23:15:58 CET 2013

On 20 November 2013 22:04, Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> wrote:
> My question is not answered at all, sorry Joao!
> I did not ask a teacher for his opinion on Stackless, but the community
> about the
> validity of pep 404.
>
> I don't want a python 2.7 that does not install correctly, because people
> don't read instructions. And exactly that will happen if I submit a modified
> python 2.7 to PyPI.
>
> This is a topic on Stackless Python, and I am asking python-dev before I do
> it.
> But people know this has its limits.

PEP 404 says there will be no Python 2.8. In my view, If you release
something named (Stackless) Python 2.8, that seems to me to be pretty
unfriendly given python-dev's clear intentions. Call it Stackless
Python 2.7 plus for Visual Studio 2010 if you want, but using the
version number 2.8 is bound to confuse at least some newcomers about
the status of the Python 2.x line, and that's what PEP 404 was
intended to avoid.

Paul