[Python-Dev] PEP 0404 and VS 2010

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 20 23:52:23 CET 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com>wrote:

> according to pep 404, there will never be an official Python 2.8.
> The migration path is from 2.7 to 3.x.
>
> I agree with this strategy in almost all consequences but this one:
>
> Many customers are forced to stick with Python 2.X because of other
> products, but they require a Python 2.X version which can be compiled
> using Visual Studio 2010 or better.
> This is considered an improvement and not a bug fix, where I disagree.

maybe we need to continue that discussion then -- and call this a bug fix.

It seems clear to me that the Python X.Y version number specifies a set of
features and their implementation, not a particular build with a particular
compiler. So a python 2.7 build with VS2010 (or any other compiler for that
matter) is still python 2.7.

And for what it's worth, stackless aside  I'd love to see a python2.7
binary built with a newer MS compiler -- for instance, the latest pyton
plugin for Visual Studio lets you debug python and C extensions side by
side -- very cool, and only available with VS2012.

Sorry I'm out of the loop, but are there patched required to use newer VS
compilers to build 2.7? or is this really just a matter of what the
official python org builds are build with?

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov