[Python-Dev] PEP 0404 and VS 2010

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Thu Nov 21 21:23:00 CET 2013

On 21/11/13 19:59, Ethan Furman wrote:
> On 11/21/2013 10:53 AM, Christian Tismer wrote:
>>
>> So even if VS2010 exists only in the stackless branch, it is very likely
>> to get used as CPython VS 2010, and I again have the naming problem ...
>
> What's wrong with calling it CPython VS 2010? And Stackless VS 2010?

Sounds tempting in the first place, but then I need to change policy a bit.
With the compiler switch, we always produced the identical Python version
where Stackless is based upon. Well, this version string is not a problem.

You mean I would stick with the latest CPython version numbers, produce
maybe different dll names (maybe cpy27vs2010.dll and spy27vs2010.dll)
which could even live together?

Maybe I would generate a cpython and spython exe and support them
both in the same distribution?

What would happen with binary extensions on PyPI? Would they install
and then fail, or is the distinction based upon the name "python"?

If the latter is true, I think I could live with that, and build binary
packages
for all relevant extensions.

At first sight I was about to complain, at second sight I am about to fall
in the trap of being happy. I do not want to loose our relation to CPython
and do any harm. But if there is such an easy solution, I might think to
go for it.
In the end, I want to go the path that MvL/Nick proposed.
But as a quick solution for now, I would love to have an easy first
solution.

Please do not take me too seriously, I need to sleep over this to see if the
idea stands my nightmares.

cheers & thanks -- Chris

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023