[Python-Dev] PEP 0404 and VS 2010

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Nov 21 22:02:29 CET 2013

martin at v.loewis.de wrote:
> Package authors would have to create multiple binary releases of
> the same modules for Windows, and upload them to PyPI. pip would have
> to learn to download the right one, depending on what build of Python
> 2.7 is running.

Is that much different from package authors having to
release binaries for different versions of Python,
if they want to support older versions?

Having multiple binaries for the same x.y version
is different from what's been done before, but it
seems to me an unavoidable consequence of supporting
one x.y version for longer than usual.

If we *don't* provide a version for the current
MS compiler, we will end up with 2.7 becoming
effectively unsupported due to the actions of MS.
Do we want to allow that to happen, or do we
want 2.7 to remain viable for a while longer?

--
Greg