[Python-Dev] PEP 0404 and VS 2010

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Nov 22 19:59:31 CET 2013

[Redirecting to Python Dev]

On 11/22/2013 10:25 AM, Richard Tew wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 3:16 AM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>> On 11/22/2013 01:00 AM, Richard Tew wrote:
>>> Yet, suddenly, the chance that we may release a "Stackless Python
>>> 2.8", is a concern.
>>
>> Because there is no CPython 2.8 to mirror, and we've said there will not be
>> one.
>>
>> It certainly didn't help that this was presented one week before the feature
>> freeze deadline for 3.4 and Christian stated [1] his "2.8" release was going
>> to happen in one week unless we talked him out of it.
>>

>>> We're not talking about releasing a Python 2.8 against anyone's wishes
>>> here.
>>
>> Having "Python 2.8" in the name is going to be a PR nightmare.  Other names
>> have been suggested.
>
> But how is it going to be a PR nightmare?  You and others can say it,
> but is it reasonable to do so?

Apparently some of us think so.  ;)  There isn't supposed to be a Python 2.8.  If you create one, people will find it.
There are other distributions that package and present Python x.y, so it would be reasonable to think that a Stackless
Python 2.8 meant a regular Python 2.8.0

> No-one has ever mistaken us for Python.  We're not, and never will be
> high enough in the search results.  Our web site is not, and has never
> been misrepresentative in a way where people could assume it is the
> proper Python web site.  In our history of releasing versions with
> matching numbers, no-one has yet mistaken us.

I suspect you would find many more hits if you were the only ones to have a Python 2.8.  See above for why that would be
confusing.

> Yet, we're told we should adopt wacky version numbers like 10, or
> rename our project from Stackless Python.

Sometimes we have to do wacky stuff to avoid unnecessary confusion.

--
~Ethan~