[Python-Dev] PEP 428 - pathlib API questions

Ben Hoyt benhoyt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 00:12:51 CET 2013

>> However, it seems there was no further discussion about why not
>> "extension" and "extensions"? I have never heard a filename extension
>> being called a "suffix".
>

> You can't have read many unix man pages, then!

Huh, no I haven't! Certainly not regularly, as I'm almost exclusively
a Windows user. :-)

> This probably depends on your background. In my experience,
> the term "extension" arose in OSes where it was a formal
> part of the filename syntax, often highly constrained.
> E.g. RT11, CP/M, early MS-DOS.
>
> Unix has never had a formal notion of extensions like that,
> only informal conventions, and has called them suffixes at
> least some of the time for as long as I can remember.

Yes, seems like it definitely is background-dependent. I'm
Windows-centric. I stand corrected, and recant my position on
"suffix". :-)

>> 4) Is path_obj.glob() recursive? In the PEP it looks like it is if the
>> pattern starts with '**',
>

> I don't think it has to *start* with **. Rather, the ** is
> a pattern that can span directory separators. It's not a
> flag that applies to the whole thing -- a pattern could have
> a * in one place and a ** in another.

Oh okay, that makes more sense. It definitely needs more thorough
documentation in that case. I would still prefer the simpler and more
explicit rglob() / recursive=True rather than pattern new syntax, but
I don't feel as strongly anymore.

-Ben