[Python-Dev] potential argparse problem: bad mix of parse_known_args and prefix matching

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 22:15:56 CET 2013

On 2013-11-26 18:16, Eli Bendersky wrote:

> FWIW I'm not advocating a breaking behavior change here - I fully realize the
> ship has sailed. I'm interested in mitigation actions, though. Making the
> documentation explain this explicitly + adding an option to disable prefix
> matching (in 3.5 since we're past the 3.4 features point) will go a long way for
> alleviating this gotcha.

There is already the One Obvious Way to handle situations like yours: the user
uses "--" to mark that the remaining arguments are pure arguments and not --options.

   parent-script --verbose -- ./child_script.py --no-verbose --etc

This is a common idiom across many argument processors. parse_known_args() is
not a good solution for this situation even if you mitigate the prefix issue.
Exact matches of --options are still possible.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco