[Python-Dev] PEP process entry point and ill fated initiatives

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 30 09:00:36 CET 2013

On 30/11/2013 03:39, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 30 November 2013 01:25, Kristján Valur Jónsson <kristjan at ccpgames.com> wrote:
>> I know that Anatoly himself is a subject of long history here, but I myself
>> have felt lessening affinity to the dev community in recent years.  It feels like
>> it is increasingly shutting itself in.
>
> Are you sure it isn't just that the focus of development has shifted
> to matters that aren't of interest or relevance to you? Many (perhaps
> even most) problems in Python don't require changes at the language or
> standard library level. We have cycle times measured in months, and
> impact times measured in years (especially since core development
> switched to Python 3 only mode for feature development). That's not
> typically something that is useful in day-to-day development tasks -
> it's only ever relevant in strategic terms.
>
> One thing that has changed for me personally, is that I've become far
> more blunt about refusing to respect those that explicitly (and
> vocally) refuse to respect us, yet seem to want to participate in core
> development anyway, and that's directly caused by Anatoly. He's still
> the only person who has been proposed for a permanent ban from all
> python.org controlled communication channels. That was averted after
> he voluntarily stopped annoying people for a while, but now he's back
> and I think the matter needs to be reconsidered.
>
> He refuses to sign the CLA that would allow him to contribute
> directly, yet still wants people to fix things for him.
> He refuses to read design documentation, yet still wants people to
> listen to his ideas.
> He refuses to care about other people's use cases, yet still wants
> people to care about his.
>
> As a case in point, Anatoly recently suggested that more diagrams in
> the documentation would be a good thing
> (http://bugs.python.org/issue19608). That's not an objectively bad
> idea, but producing and maintaining good diagrams is a high overhead
> activity, so we generally don't bother. When I suggested drawing some
> and sending a patch (I had forgotten about the CLA problem), Anatoly's
> response was that he's not a designer. So I countered with a
> suggestion that he explore what would be involved in adding the
> seqdiag and blockdiag sphinx extensions to our docs build process,
> since having those available would drastically lower the barrier to
> including and maintaining reasonable diagrams in the documentation,
> increasing the chance of such diagrams being included in the future.
> Silence.
>
> "Hey some diagrams would be helpful!" is not a useful contribution,
> it's stating the bleeding obvious. Even nominating some *specific*
> parts of the guide where a diagram would have helped Anatoly
> personally would have been useful. The technical change I suggested
> about figuring out what we'd need to change to enable those extensions
> would *definitely* have been useful.
>
> Another couple of incidents recently occurred on distutils-sig, where
> [...]

FWIW I agree entirely with your sentiments.  Several times recently I've
seen him in action on the bug tracker.  I've been sorely tempted to wear
my XXXL size Asperger hat and state what I really think of his
behaviour, but somehow managed to control myself and say nothing.
Thankfully with your words above this seems to have paid off as nobody
has been sidetracked any further.

And yes I'm aware that at times I'm no angel, although I believe I can
at least offer mitigating circumstances.

But the best has yet to be invented.  Christian Tismer

Mark Lawrence