[Python-Dev] project culture: take responsibility for your commits

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Oct 4 16:30:28 CEST 2013

On 10/02/2013 11:58 AM, Stefan Behnel wrote:

> I'm looking back on a rather unpleasant experience that I recently had in
> this developer community. Actually, twice by now. Here's what I take from it:
>
> You should take responsibility for your commits.

It doesn't sound like you learned anything, then, as you apparently
already knew this (judging from your later post).  I find it disturbing
that nowhere in your two posts to this thread do you take responsibility
for your part in what happened.  (Disclaimer: I'm only aware of one of
the incidents.)

Here is what I hope you learn, as it will benefit both you, the
developers you work with, and hopefully Python as well:

   - Be respectful

   - Realize that people don't always agree on the
     best solution

   - Ask for clarification on responses if you don't
     think your point is being understood

The second and third points follow from the first, and is the one that
you seemed to have the most trouble with:  starting a trouble ticket
with accusations that something was snuck in and done behind peoples'
backs is offensive, as are continual accusations that those you are
working with simply don't understand.

Add to that constant complaints about writing patches yourself... well,
to be brief I am not surprised you didn't have a good experience -- I
don't think anybody involved with that ticket had a good experience,
including myself, and I was just a bystander.

--
~Ethan~