[Python-Dev] Make str/bytes hash algorithm pluggable?

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sat Oct 5 00:51:02 CEST 2013

On 10/04/2013 11:15 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:
> 2013/10/4 Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org>:
>> The current hash randomization is
>> simply not preventing anything; someone posted long ago a way to
>> recover bit-by-bit the hash randomized used by a remote web program in
>> Python running on a server.
> Oh interesting, is it public?

http://events.ccc.de/congress/2012/Fahrplan/events/5152.en.html

Quoting the synopsis:

    We also describe a vulnerability of Python's new randomized hash,
    allowing an attacker to easily recover the 128-bit secret seed.

I found all that while reading this interesting, yet moribund, bug report:

    http://bugs.python.org/issue14621

I guess there was enough bike shedding that people ran out of steam, or
something.  It happens.

//arry/