[Python-Dev] Make str/bytes hash algorithm pluggable?

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sat Oct 5 08:53:12 CEST 2013

On 10/05/2013 01:14 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:
> And how do you retrieve the whole hash value from an HTTP page? You
> may retrieve some bits using specific HTTP requests, but not directly
> the whole hash value. I don't know any web page displaying directly
> the hash value of a string coming from the user request!?

Armin Rigo handwaves his way through an approach here:

    http://bugs.python.org/issue14621#msg173455

You use a "timing attack" to get the algorithm to "leak" a bit at a
time.  I have no idea how that actually works, I don't have a background
in security, nor a sufficiently devious mindset to work it out for myself.

//arry/