[Python-Dev] PEP 457: Syntax For Positional-Only Parameters

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Wed Oct 9 03:31:56 CEST 2013

2013/10/8 Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org>:
> This PEP proposes a backwards-compatible syntax that should
> permit implementing any builtin in pure Python code.

This is rather too strong. You can certainly implement them; you just
have to implement the argument parsing yourself. Python's
call/signature syntax is already extremely expressive, and resolving
call arguments to formal parameters is already a complicated (and
slow) process. Implementing functions with such strange argument
semantics is hardly common enough to justify the whole grouping syntax
proposed in this PEP. -1 to that. I think I can live with "/", but
YANGTNI still.

--
Regards,
Benjamin