[Python-Dev] PEP 457: Syntax For Positional-Only Parameters

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Wed Oct 9 16:30:51 CEST 2013

On 10/09/2013 03:36 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> I think it would be better to exercise [Argument Clinc] first as an internal tool,
> eliminate any possible quirks and issues, and *then* perhaps expose it
> as a public API.
>
> By the way, do you think it'll be ready for 3.4?

Only if I can stop writing other PEPs and replying to their discussion
threads!

The implementation of Argument Clinic is done enough to be ready to go
in.  It doesn't support /everything/ it should.  The main thing: it
doesn't have enough predefined "converters" and "return converters".
But those are pretty quick to add, so that problem wouldn't last long.
It also doesn't allow mixing positional-only parameters and any other
types of parameters, so for example the dict constructor is currently
inexpressable.  And (as always) it needs more tests.  But I'm finally
happy with the internal interfaces, so that's something.

The next step: polish the PEP, get final feedback, and submit it for
judgment.  Then start writing / polishing the documentation. If the PEP
is accepted, get the implementation reviewed, and (fingers crossed)
checked in.

The implementation is available here for your reviewing pleasure:

    https://bitbucket.org/larry/python-clinic/

It got a /cursory/ high-level code review from Brett; we spent six or
eight hours going over it at PyCon CA.  He gave it a thumbs up but
definitely wanted more coverage in the unit tests.

//arry/