[Python-Dev] PEP 457: Syntax For Positional-Only Parameters

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 16:38:15 CEST 2013

On 9 October 2013 13:38, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
>> Generally, it needs to be a bit clearer that the intent of the PEP isn't to
>> say "let's do this", it's to be explicit that acceptance of the Argument
>> Clinic PEP severely constrains the design space for possible solutions if we
>> ever *did* implement Python level support for positional only arguments.
>
> Why does a syntax need to be reserved? Documentation conventions and
> the syntax of internal tools like argument clinic may be changed any
> time we like.

For that matter, why does the syntax used by Argument Clinic have to
be the same as whatever future syntax is used in Python? If indeed,
any ever is? What benefit do we get given the cost (rushing in a
syntax that nobody is actually convinced we even need in Python yet).

In other words, why does PEP this need to be separated out from the
Argument Clinic PEP at all?
Paul