[Python-Dev] Support keyword in PEP URL?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 01:13:43 CEST 2013

Hi,

What do you think of adding an optional identifier to a PEP to get a
readable URL?

Example:
   http://www.python.org/dev/peps/qualname/
instead of
   http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0395/

Other examples:

305: csv
450: statistics
3156: asyncio

An identifier must only contain lower case letters (a-z), digits
(0-9), dot (.) and underscore (_). It should be short (max. 20
characters)... and unique. Regex: ^[a-z0-9._]{1,20}$.

For draft PEP, the identifier may change. If it's an issue (dead URL),
we may allow multiple identifiers (ex: add also "tulip" for 3156), or
only add an identifier to accepted PEPs.

I don't know yet how it can be implemented at server side.

Victor