[Python-Dev] Support keyword in PEP URL?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 02:53:01 CEST 2013

2013/10/12 Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>:
> What's the use case? I just use Google search if I don't recall the PEP
> number.

The final goal would be to identify PEPs using a textual identifier
instead of a number identifier.

We now have 206 PEPs (341 if you count also deferred and rejected
PEPs). It's not easy to remember all these PEP numbers. Google should
not needed to find a PEP, it's identifier should be enough to write
manually the URL. The problem is to remember the numerical identifier.

It's easy to mix up PEP numbers. For example, Martin von Loewis wrote
two major PEP related to Unicode: 383 and 393. These numbers are
close, only one digit is different. It's worse when you discuss recent
PEPs: PEP 445 or PEP 454? Oops, no it was the PEP 455.

Victor