[Python-Dev] PEPs shouldn't be considered docs

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 17:24:18 CEST 2013

On 12 Oct 2013 19:38, "Paul Moore" <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 October 2013 00:29, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There's no grand policy change or clarification needed here, it's just
> > another consequence of the fact that the import system isn't documented
> > properly in versions prior to 3.3.
>
> And my personal apology for that. I knew when we wrote PEP 302 that it
> needed proper documentation, but I couldn't find a good way to include
> it in the docs and I couldn't face rewriting the import docs in a way
> that would allow me to include it.

You were *far* from the only one to contemplate documenting the old import
system and then decide we had more edifying things to do with our time ;)

> Many thanks to Brett for ultimately doing it for me.

Barry actually did the bulk of the initial writing for that, although Brett
did the preceding work to make it feasible to document by ensuring the
default import system was registered on sys.meta_path.

And yes, it was a very happy day when that commit landed :)

Cheers,
Nick.