[Python-Dev] cpython: Rename contextlib.ignored() to contextlib.ignore().

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 00:27:33 CEST 2013

On Oct 12, 2013, at 1:41 PM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> .  break_on reads just fine to me, although leave_on is probably better.

Sorry, these are both really bad.

I've user tested ignore() and had good results.
It makes the intention of the code very clear.

When you ask someone to describe what
"try: f() except SomeException: pass" does,
they will say that it ignores the exception.

FWIW, I presented this to 2500+ people in the keynote
at the 2013 U.S. Pycon and have received favorable feedback.

Please don't join Antoine's opposition to my every contribution.
The incessant sniping is demoralizing.   The module
maintainer (Nick) approved the name change from
his original preference for ignored().  That should had
been the end of it.  Now, this thread has 40+ emails
and it will probably go on for days.

Raymond