[Python-Dev] cpython: Rename contextlib.ignored() to contextlib.ignore().

Vito De Tullio vito.detullio at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 06:39:33 CEST 2013

Cameron Simpson wrote:

>> >polysemic: having more than one meaning; having multiple meanings
>>
>> IMHO a poor word to use.  I'm a middle aged Brit who's never heard
>> of it so people who have English as a second language have little or
>> no chance :(
>
> IMO a fine word. New to me, but perfectly clear and memorable once
> explained.
>
> People with English as a second language might do better than us
> if they've cottoned onto the patterns arising from the root languages,
> versus a native speaker basing things entirely on memory.

just as a data point: polysemic (from my italian native language) it's
pretty "self-explanatory": "poly-" it's a very common prefix for "many", and
"semic" has the same root of "semantic". Btw the italian version (polisemia)
it's pronounced almost the same, so it's "an easy one" to translate.

--
By ZeD