[Python-Dev] cpython: Rename contextlib.ignored() to contextlib.ignore().

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 08:57:09 CEST 2013

On 13 Oct 2013 16:37, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

> Cameron Simpson writes:
>
>  > But we've got "ignore" in play already. Can't we accept that it is
>  > somewhat evocative though clearly not perfect for everyone, and
>  > move on?
>
> No, that is *way* out.  We can overrule the objections, recognizing
> that sometimes compromise is the worst of the four possible actions
> (this, that, mix, wait).

Right.

For the record, this thread did prompt me to consider the new construct
anew, but on reflection, I still consider it a reasonable addition to
contextlib.

It substantially improves the simple cases it is intended to help with,
and, if anything, makes overly broad exception suppression *more* obviously
dubious (because the name of the construct doesn't match the consequences
for multi-line suites).

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com