[Python-Dev] cpython: Rename contextlib.ignored() to contextlib.ignore().

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 17:20:30 CEST 2013

On 14 October 2013 00:05, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 22:50:07 +1000
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's the way this works (unless you think this is such a disastrous
>> addition that you want to appeal to Guido to strip me of my
>> responsibilities as contextlib maintainer and go hunting for a new
>> one).
>
> Wow... I don't think challenging others to "strip you of your
> responsibilities" is a reasonable way to address criticism.
>
> And for the record, it's not *my* objection; several other core
> developers have said -1 too: Ezio, Serhiy, Giampaolo, etc.

When people keep complaining after I have posted, as the module
maintainer, saying:

==================
"For the record, this thread did prompt me to consider the new
construct anew, but on reflection, I still consider it a reasonable
addition to contextlib.

It substantially improves the simple cases it is intended to help
with, and, if anything, makes overly broad exception suppression
*more* obviously dubious (because the name of the construct doesn't
match the consequences for multi-line suites)."
==================

Then, yes, I think challenging people to try to get me booted as
module maintainer for contextlib is a *precisely* proportionate
response. Getting to decide what colour the bikeshed is painted (and
if we even have a bikeshed at all) is what being a module maintainer
*means*.

I had previously agreed it was a borderline decision. I stated that I
had reviewed that decision. I stated that I hadn't changed my mind.
Yet people kept complaining. That's a pretty clear statement that they
don't trust my judgement.

Regards,
Nick.