[Python-Dev] cpython: Rename contextlib.ignored() to contextlib.ignore().

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 00:17:10 CEST 2013

On 14 Oct 2013 01:45, "Antoine Pitrou" <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 01:20:30 +1000
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Then, yes, I think challenging people to try to get me booted as
> > module maintainer for contextlib is a *precisely* proportionate
> > response.
>
> Because I don't agree with you on one instance doesn't mean I usually
> *distrust* your judgement. Reasonable organizations have ways to change
> decisions that doesn't involve overthrowing people (think about appeal
> courts, for example). This is much better than expecting some select
> people to be infallible kings :-)

I think I'm mostly irritated by the fact that this thread (which is almost
completely inconsequential for the overall language design regardless of
whether the feature stays or goes) attracts dozens of posts, while actually
hard 3.x usability problems like getting the codec support back to parity
with 2.x are still languishing for lack of interest. These days it seems
progress is only made on the latter when I work on it as a means of
procrastinating on something else :P

> Personally, I generally trust you to 1) make enough research and/or
> gather enough material 2) take informed decisions that do justice to the
> community's ethos (after, sometimes, a certain amount of arguing :-)).
> If my criticism came accross as criticizing your competence, then I'm
> sorry: that was not my intent.

I suspect lack of sleep was also a factor in my poor reaction ;)

PJE's articulation of the potential for misinterpretation as the equivalent
of VB's "on error resume next" for users learning by example is an
interesting one.

I'm actually tempted to move this particular feature out to contextlib2 for
the time being (similar to what I did with ExitStack and some other
experimental features that never made it back into the stdlib version). A
pull request at https://bitbucket.org/ncoghlan/contextlib2 to bring it up
to date with the latest contextlib code would likely help push me in that
direction (it's not quite a matter of simply copying the current stdlib
code, since contextlib2 still supports some of those experimental APIs I
didn't end up merging).

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com