[Python-Dev] cpython: Rename contextlib.ignored() to contextlib.ignore().

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 14:05:41 CEST 2013

On 15 October 2013 13:12, Glenn Linderman <v+python at g.nevcal.com> wrote:
> Of course, if the name were changed to be accurate, or the feature made less
> prone to misuse, then maybe it would terminate.

I've come to the conclusion it makes sense to rename it from ignore to
suppress, since that's the term already used for this operation in the
rest of the context management docs: http://bugs.python.org/issue19266

Given the number of people vehemently opposed to the old name, I'm
sure there will be plenty of volunteers to create a patch while I do
some more work on PEP 453 :)

Cheers,
Nick.