[Python-Dev] cpython: Rename contextlib.ignored() to contextlib.ignore().

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Oct 16 17:24:07 CEST 2013

On Oct 16, 2013, at 08:31 AM, Eric Snow wrote:

>When a module's maintainer makes a decision on a relatively insignificant
>addition to the module, I'd expect little resistance or even comment (the
>original commit was months ago).  That's why I'm surprised by the reaction
>to this change.  It just seems like the whole thing is being blown way out
>of proportion to the detriment of other interesting problems. Sure, things
>could have been done differently.  But in this case it's not that big a
>deal.

Any project as big and diverse as Python needs a hierarchical structure of
trust and responsibility.  I see it *roughly* as core dev <  module maintainer
< release manager < bdfl delegate < bdfl.

However, it's imperative to remain vigilantly transparent so that everyone
understands the rationale and motivation behind a change, even if they
disagree with it.  Trust is extended upwards when this transparency is
extended downloads.  "'Cause I said so" only works at the top of the chain. ;)

I posted my original question because the change seemed so random and
arbitrary, and the commit message didn't enlighten me.

-Barry