[Python-Dev] Updated PEP 454 (tracemalloc): no more metrics!

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 14:43:44 CEST 2013

On 24 October 2013 22:34, Kristján Valur Jónsson <kristjan at ccpgames.com> wrote:
> I understand your desire for things to be fast, but let me just re-iterate my view
> that for this kind of jobs, performance is completely secondary.  Memory
> debugging and analysis is an off-line, laboratory task.  In my opinion,
> performance should not be driving the design of a module like this.  And in
> particular, it should not be the only reason  to write code in C that could
> just as well be written in .py.
> This is a lorry.  A lorry is for moving refrigerators, on those rare occasions when
> you need to have refrigerators moved.  It doesn't need go-faster-stripes.
>
> Well, I think I've made my point on this amply clear now, in this email and the
> previous, so I won't dwell on it further.

Not everything is a PC that you can just add more memory to (or switch
to a lab server with the same CPU architecture but more RAM).

If Victor were only interested in analysing x86[_64] software, I'd
agree with you, but embedded scenarios don't always offer that freedom
to do resource consumption analysis on a more powerful system.

Cheers,
Nick.