[Python-Dev] 2.6.9 readline [Was: OS X 10.9 Mavericks -> 2.7.6/3.3.3 updates needed]

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 23:54:35 CEST 2013

On 25 Oct 2013 06:42, "Barry Warsaw" <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2013, at 01:12 PM, Ned Deily wrote:
>
> >Yes, this problem also affects 2.6.  There are some mitigating factors.
 The

http://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/1e03fd72e116)
> >depends on some previous 2.7-only changes in Modules/readline.c so it
does not
> >apply cleanly to 2.6.  However, there aren't *that* many other earlier
changes
> >to 2.7 readline that are not in 2.6 and, for the most part, they have to
do
> >with fixing memory leaks, including some introduced by using newer
versions of
> >GNU readline, and I didn't see any new features.  Copying the current
2.7 tip
> >of readline.c over to the current tip of 2.6 builds cleanly on 10.9.
> >test_readline passes and the simple history scrolling seems to work
without
> >crashing.  I'd recommend either doing nothing or backporting everything.
>
> Thanks for the background Ned.
>
> Given that 2.6.9 will be the last release of the 2.6 series, we won't have
> much of a chance of going back to fix things if we/I mess it up.
>
> Our options then are to do another release candidate, which frankly will
> probably get about as much testing as the first one (i.e. close to zero,
> afaict) and push the final release out a few weeks.  Or, as you say we can
> just do nothing.  Maybe that means 2.6 will be broken on OS X 10.9 unless
> someone crafts and applies patches themselves, but I think that's
acceptable
> given how old 2.6 is (EOL) and how new 10.9 is.
>
> If 10.9 had come out two weeks from now, "do nothing" would have been the
> obvious answer. :) So unless I hear strong objections before next Monday,
I am
> not going to fix this in 2.6.9.

Since the default build settings work, that sounds reasonable. Perhaps
include a note somewhere that targeting a more recent ABI may involve
copying the 2.7 readline.c?

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com